SLAVE RELICS MUSEUM BADAGRY


Slave_relics_bill_board.jpg


The Slave Relics museum was named the Mobee family Slave Relics after the death of Chief Sunbu Mobee of Beokoh who championed the course of stopping slave trade in Badagry. In 1886 slave trade stoped in Badagry while Chief Sunbu Mbee died on 16th October 1893. August 23rd marks the international day for the remembrance of slave trade and its abolition.



The History of Slave Trade

Slave trade started in the 16th Century in Nigeria by the Portuguese merchants who came into the country through the Atlantic Ocean. The thriving business at the Nigerian and Republic of Benin gave rise to the name ‘Slave Coast’. Along the coast were slave markets where slaves were been sold or exchanged for goods. Such markets were the Badagry Slave market, Enyuk slave market, Veleket slave market to mention a few. In Badagry market, 1,500 slaves were sold every week while about 10,000 slaves were usually exchanged monthly at the slave markets in Nigeria.




slave_port.jpg
Slave port At Badagry
These slaves were sold by the leaders in exchange for goods such as mirrors, matches, Dry gin etc. Initially this exchange was an appreciation for the goods but got out of control and became a form of trade. The leaders gave the following number of slaves in exchange:
  • Thirty five slaves in exchange for a mirror.
  • Seven slaves in exchange for matches.
  • Ten slaves in exchange for tobacco.
  • Fifteen slaves in exchange for Dry gin.
  • Forty slaves in exchange for umbrella.
  • One hundred slaves for a canon gun.etc


ceramic_bowls_exchange.jpg
Ceramic bowls exchanged for slaves
canon_gun.jpg
Canon Gun exchanged for slaves












Chief Abas Seriki Williams was given the position of a paramount ruler by Lord Lugard for his active role as a slave merchant. He was taken as a slave at the age of six and on his return to Nigeria he became a slave merchant. Others who returned were Santos, Silva, Rocha, Pedro, Coker, Salvador, Nelson.
Cowries were used as the legal tender for trade in Nigeria.

cowries.jpg
Cowries

cowries_seriki.jpg
Coweries Used by Chief Abas Williams












williams_gifts.jpg
Chief Seriki Abae Aikkiams Gift


Brazilian Baracoon
The Brazilian Baracoon was established in 1840 by chief Seriki Abass Williams and the Brazilian Slave buyers. Situated in the Baracoon are the waiting room and slave cells. These cells were used to keep slaves for three months in Badagry before they are been transported in chains and mouth locks. In each cell there were forty slave with no chairs, fans, light and even food. The cells were so small that the slaves were in a standing position until they were moved out to be sold to their buyers. Each cell had only a small window.

Slaves were also dehumanized by their fellow Nigerians. Then one would ask ‘What happened to the brotherly love that existed between them?’

slave_torture.jpg
Slaves In Chains And Flogged
slaves_been_sold.jpg
Slaves ready to be Sold















neck_chain_3.jpg
Neck Chains

mouth_lock.jpg
Mouth Lock



mouth_brace2.jpg
Mouth Brace


slave_chains_2.jpg
Slave Chains


chained_slave.jpg
Pregnant Slave in Hand Chain


slaves_torture_2.jpg
Tochured Slaves


slave_water_trough.jpg
Slaves' Water Trouph





seriki_burial_chamber.jpg
Willuams Seriki's Burial Chamber


mobee_monument.jpg
Chief Abas Monument




Point Of No Return


students_on_island.jpg



The Point of No Return is an Island where the slaves were taken to by boats before finally sailing into the Atlantic Ocean. When the slaves get to this Island, they have gotten to the point of no return to their fatherland as indicated by the name. The slaves would walk for hours with heavy chains around their necks, legs and padlock on their mouth to the other side of the Island that leads to the Atlantic Ocean.